Friday, November 27, 2015

A flock of little birdies (and a handmade crib mobile)

DIY Knit Crochet Baby Bird Crib Mobile  |  Rabbit Hole Knits Bluebird of Happiness on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
After finishing those pants, I decided that perhaps it might be a good idea to wait until this baby is actually born (and we know its size) before making anything else for him or her.

But then the crib we'd ordered came and when we put it together I realized that the drape rod poised above, which is meant to hang a canopy and a mobile from, was missing one of those things.

The canopy will arrive soon (along with matching sheets and other assorted baby textiles, courtesy of my mom, her sewing machine, and her talented hands), but meanwhile, we hadn't bought a whimsical mobile to hang over our little one for his/her entertainment.

So—I decided to make one, and then that could be my last handmade goodie for the baby (instead of those pants). And with a trio of wool skeins I was gifted from a friend for my birthday, in perfect soothing shades of gray, mint green and cream, I had exactly what I needed to start.

DIY Knit Crochet Baby Bird Crib Mobile  |  Rabbit Hole Knits Bluebird of Happiness on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
While I was completely besotted with the idea of making a wild animal mobile, with elephants, monkeys and lion cubs (naturally), turns out those are quite complicated to make. And as this was my first time knitting and stuffing a "softie" (a.k.a. stuffed animal, lovie, etc.), and I've learned the pitfalls of trying to go rogue with something new, I wanted to follow a straightforward pattern.

Enter Rabbit Hole Knits and this sweet pattern for a "Bluebird of Happiness" (which I've christened as a "lovebird" for my mobile). I also made Purl Soho's Crocheted Balls to intersperse between the birds. When I had my four birds and four globes finally finished, then I had to figure out how to attach them all to an embroidery loop I'd wrapped in matching wool.

DIY Knit Crochet Baby Bird Crib Mobile  |  Rabbit Hole Knits Bluebird of Happiness on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
And that's when things got complicated (and the cursing began). Not being particularly good at measuring, nor at engineering, figuring out how to hang 8 things evenly from a hoop that was laying on the table (as I had no way to hook it or hang it until I figured out how to hang things from it) proved to be exasperating. That combined with realizing that not being a crocheter means my crocheted balls were a little...uneven, and I began to find the whole thing disappointing and a little hokey looking.

After pottering about for an hour, covered in wool fuzz and bits of glue, with assorted needles and pins surrounding me, I still couldn't get it to look just right. I fiddled with the braided cords I'd made to hang it all together one last time and then turned off the lights and went to bed.

When I woke up the next morning and saw the wan, gray November Swedish light playing softly against my little birdies, I realized that it was perfect just as it was. As all things made with love actually are, I suppose.

DIY Knit Crochet Baby Bird Crib Mobile  |  Rabbit Hole Knits Bluebird of Happiness on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Maybe I'll manage my elephants and monkeys the next time around, but for now, I'm happy to see these little birdies flitting above our soon-to-arrive baby's nest.

P.S. Ravelry project notes here.


Leave a note (comments)
Subscribe via e-mail
Follow along on Instagram and via Bloglovin', RSS or Feedly

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.