Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat

Judarn  |  A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogen Naturereserverat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com

After my many (many) Sicilian indulgences, I was itching like crazy for a(nother) nice long walk somewhere with a little autumnal splendor going on. But as I didn't feel like going all the way into the city, I searched around our current piece of Stockholm County for something new to explore. Google Maps pointed me to Judarskogens Naturereservat, a nature reserve (Stockholm's first!) with a lake at its center, which sounded perfect.

Also perfect? The fact that you can get off at one subway stop (Åkeshov), take a one-way/non-loop walk, and then return from another subway stop (Ängbyplan, which is also conveniently located next to a pastry shop, although I didn't pop in...this time).

Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Regardless of which stop you get off or on from, the park begins a few feet from the subway, which makes visiting it extremely easy and convenient.

My visit happened to coincide with that of a school, as there were groups of children scattered all over the park, and hearing their laughter and shouts as the older ones ran around looking for laminated notes tied to trees that were part of their treasure hunt and the smaller ones waddled around with mandarines in their hands made my stroll all the sweeter (because let's face it, a large forest can also be a little spooky).

Besides the school kids, I also saw some adults with paper bags hunting for mushrooms and others walking their dogs or out for a run.

Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com

Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
As for me, though, I just strolled, mostly keeping to the trodden paths, but sometimes climbing over mossy rocks and fallen tree trunks to explore a particularly pretty clearing filled with dappled sunlight.

After a few misses, I finally found my way to the lake at the center of the nature reserve. No one was swimming (although I wouldn't be surprised if someone was), and it was as serene as can be. A taste of Walden in Stockholm.

Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Judarskogens Naturereservat  | A post-vacation ramble at Judarskogens Naturereservat on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com


And while the air certainly smells like fall, and the crispness of the weather feels like it, the leaves haven't changed all the way yet, which is what I had been on the hunt for. At first I was a bit disappointed, but then I realized that that just means that spending September in Sicily didn't interfere at all with us enjoying (what I hope will be) a nice, long autumn here in Stockholm.

Leave a note (comments)
Subscribe via e-mail
Follow along on Instagram and via Bloglovin', RSS or Feedly

One year ago: Postcard from Andalucía: Gibraltar + Tarifa
Two years ago: The notion of home
Three years ago (!): Turning the page

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.