Thursday, July 23, 2015

Not just for kids

Adult coloring books: Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom  |  Not just for kids on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com

Every year as we slip into summer (even a Swedish summer), I'm less and less likely to pull my knitting out of its basket after dinner. There's just something about bright nights and warmer weather that aren't conducive to a lap full of yarn.

But this year the urge to do something artistic with my hands besides knitting wouldn't simmer down. And while over the last few months I've had an insane desire to sew proper things (motivated in part by this adorable website I came across), the investment and learning curve required aren't something I'm quite ready to take on just yet (though rest assured I'm bookmarking away for when I am).

Plus, even though we now have the space to set up a little sewing corner, I still wanted something more lightweight and portable to keep me busy.

Adult coloring books: Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom  |  Not just for kids on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
So when I walked into a local bookstore while running errands and came across a few shelves filled with books of beautiful sketches collected within the "adult coloring books" section I knew I had to have one.

I jumped on the bandwagon and selected Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom, because while the more famous Secret Garden and Enchanted Forest by Joanna Basford were lovely, I was much more into the standalone animals in Millie's book versus the more pattern-heavy designs in Joanna's books.

I picked up a pack of Faber-Castell coloring pencils to go with my new book and hightailed it home to try it out. Turns out I'm not the only adult into coloring—it's apparently the new thing, as a Google search reveals that they're topping bestseller lists as people turn to them for an analog and meditative activity in the face of numerous screens. All things that knitting does for me (in cooler weather, of course), although I'm not sure what I'll do with these results aside from collect them on our bookshelf.

A few pages in and I think I'm hooked—I've even seen R eyeing my pencils, so perhaps I'll have a masterpiece of his to share soon.

Leave a note (comments)
Subscribe via e-mail
Follow along on Instagram and via Bloglovin', RSS or Feedly

One year ago: Summer's morning light & A pier picnic & Canal tour to Sandhamn
Two years ago: Eleven Madison Park & Almond detritus & Almost an American

2 comments :

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.