Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Meandering along Monteliusvägen

The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html

I'm not quite sure how it's possible, but somehow we'd already been living in Stockholm for more than a year and I'd never made it out to one of the city's most famous (if not the most famous) lookout point. Just inland from the northern border of Södermalm, and up a steep, but not too steep, street lies Monteliusvägen, a quarter-mile pathway that curves along the hill and offers the most spectacular views of the city.

I suppose it's just that I don't spend much time in Södermalm (also known as the Brooklyn of Stockholm). Apart from bicycling along its eastern edge on the way to school from Hammarby Sjöstad last summer and fall, and actually buying said bicycle from a shop there, we just hadn't had many reasons to meander about the island's very charming streets.

But since I was meeting a friend in Södermalm for lunch earlier this week (at La Neta, a fast food-style Mexican eatery that was good, but certainly no Fonda) and had the afternoon free afterward, I figured it was time to see for myself.

I started heading uphill (along the way seeing many a familiar setting from the TV show Welcome to Sweden) and came across a charming set of signs pointing me along my merry way before I finally made it onto the pathway and saw the long-awaited view peeking out from amidst all the greenery and lilac bushes.

Signs for Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
Signs for Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
Once I rounded the bend I saw that I wasn't the only one who fancied a beautiful view on a gorgeous Swedish summer day. People reading, couples and friends lingering over coffee, families with their lunches spread out around them on benches and grassy areas alongside the path, and school groups with painting and drawing supplies were there, too.

And who can blame them? If I lived or worked that close to Monteliusvägen, I'm sure I'd be there every sunny day, too.

(Although now that I know how lovely and peaceful it is, I've no doubt that I'll find excuses to wind my way back up—soon, and frequently.)

The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html
The view from Monteliusvägen, Södermalm, Stockholm  |  Monteliusvägen on afeathery*nest  |  http://www.afeatherynest.com/2015/06/monteliusvagen-sodermalm-stockholm.html

(A bit of an overload on the picture front, but choosing just one—or two—to share proved entirely too hard.)

Leave a note (comments)
Subscribe via e-mail
Follow along on Instagram and via Bloglovin', RSS or Feedly

One year ago: The Swedish deluge & Evening bike rides & Late to bed, early to rise
Two years ago: La bella vita & The case for Swedish

5 comments :

  1. Hey dear! They're quite impressive up here, aren't they? Hope you'll see them in a few months! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, guess that's what happens when you don't really ever get invaded - all your old towns retain their historic charms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found your blog and I am loving it -- amazing fotos, cool content! I am a native NYCer who recently moved to Uppsala. Thank you for existing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to leave me such a sweet note, Isabel! It's so nice to hear from a fellow expat from NYC. :) Hope you're settling in well to Uppsala!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.