Thursday, January 22, 2015

Snowy contentment

Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Yesterday the snow floated down again and I took advantage of a warm, post-lunch belly to head out to crunch through it. I was in the mood for something new and a quick glance at Google Maps showed me a castle (yep!) in a park nearby. I knew there was a military academy there, as I pass its front facade often when I walk around the canal, but I didn't realize it had been a castle previously.

So off to Karlbergs Slott I went and I still can't quite comprehend that stupefyingly-beautiful wintry woodland cathedrals like this are everywhere in Stockholm—a capital city! How is access to this just a few minutes' walk away from a handful of bus stops and subway stops (and from my in-laws' apartment)?

Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
I'm not one to take a walk (especially in a city) with my headphones on, but I have to say, a walk through the woods in this park, completely alone, with a little Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban harmonizing in my ear was quite enchanting.

Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
Karlbergs Slottspark, Stockholm, Sweden  |  Snowy contentment on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.com
And here's the thing that crossed my mind as I made tracks through the snow (perhaps spurred on by the crooners accompanying me): anytime you have a huge change in your life (or even a little one, I suppose), it's normal and understandable to second guess yourself or have misgivings, but I can count the number of times I've felt that way on one hand (less than one hand!) since moving here.

But the times I've felt overwhelmingly and completely filled with happiness that we actually did it? I'm not sure I can count that high!

(And it's only been 10 months).

* Leave a note (comment)
* Subscribe via e-mail
* Follow along on Instagram and via Bloglovin', RSS or Feedly


One year ago: Winter, post-twinkly lights
Two years ago: A sheaf of the past

11 comments :

  1. I could totally imagine bocelli on your walk. how mesmerizing and fantastic and so accessible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so magical, Mu-Hsien! :)

    And just like you noticed last summer that there seemed to be water everywhere, well, there also seem to be lovely woods and parks to stomp through, too! I didn't really notice until the leaves started to fall and the snow came. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved walking in the woods when I lived in Sweden. There's peace all around and I felt so safe. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hej! You know I'm less than two weeks away from being in Stockholm again and let me tell you, the snowy pictures are lovely as long as i know I don't have to be outside too much. Oy! You're spot on about how to combat and embrace the wintry days and nights of Sweden. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're so happy there. It's always so uplifting visiting to see what you're up to! So pleased for you. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Becky, you sweet lady! Thank you so very much for stopping by and for your kind words! So glad IG and MF (and a love of wine and general cocktailery) connected us! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The most perfect of ways to describe it, Mu-Hsien! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. -5C? OMGoodness! I guess that I'll going to have buy some of those heat insert gel packy things to put in my shoes and gloves. Oy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I don't know if it's because there is humidity or because there's no humidity, but it doesn't FEEL so cold. It actually feels amazing outside—but ten again I'm also a little strange and enjoy frigid temps, so...perhaps a good call to get those heat inserts ;).

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfection...! so glad you take time to enjoy it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.