Monday, January 12, 2015

2014: The year that was

Sankt Eriksbron connecting Vasastan and Fridhemsplan in Kungsholmen  |  2014: The year that was on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
It's always a bit of slog to write the yearly recap, but as soon as I edge towards "eh, I'm not going to do it this year", I read the previous years (2013, 2012) and then am so glad I have them, so, here we go with 2014's:
    
1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make any for next year?
Last year I changed the "rules" on this question and instead of a resolution, I picked a word that described how I wanted the year to manifest (and by manifest I don't mean just wishing and crossing my fingers that it'll turn out that way, but actively trying to make it so). I chose "adventure", which I think it's clear, has manifested.

As for this year, 2015's word shall be "daring".

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not anyone close, but a few babies were born to people that are adjacent to close.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No—I'm still thankful that everyone I care about it is here.

5. What countries did you visit? Cities?
Hammarby Sjöstad  |  2014: The year that was on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
  • Greater ease with speaking the Swedish that I've learned (which requires greater guts, too)
  • And in what appears to be a yearly (or at least once-repeated) desire: an apartment where we'll be able to settle in for more than a few months
  • Even more patience
  • Stimulating, challenging work, the kind that makes you excited to sit down at your desk and get started
  • And in a repeat from 2012, still hoping for a dog and a washer/dryer this year
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
  • Leaving my home country for one of R's
  • Not completely falling apart (or at least not for long) when confronted with the shock of everything being so very "new" in my new home country
9. What was your biggest failure?
  • Not practicing Swedish enough (or...at all, at least not verbally)
  • And of course another repeat from previous years: not always feeling like I've been the best _____ (insert familial/friend relationship there). Although, I feel this less than I did last year! (Woo!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nope (whew).

11. What were the best things you bought?
12. Where did most of your money go?
Travel. Rent/moving/shipping costs.

Norr Mälarstrand  |  2014: The year that was on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com

13. What made you happy/got you excited?
14. Are you happier or sadder than last year? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier. Fatter. Poorer.
(See? Thin, rich people aren't the only ones who are happy!)

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Speaking Swedish.

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Zoning out to Netflix.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
With R and my in-laws in Stockholm. There were a few long walks, many feasts, one night of Monopoly (yes I gave in and played—TWICE over the holidays. I told R that gets me out of it until at least next year), and an appearance by Jultomte.

18. What was your favorite TV program?
  • Suits
  • White Collar
  • Homeland 
  • Downton Abbey 
  • Scandal
  • Madame Secretary
  • How to Get Away with Murder
  • Revenge
  • Skavlan
19. What were your favorite books of the year?
20. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Turned 31 in Sevilla. R took me to breakfast at "our" café, then to the baths at AIRE, followed by the most incredible helado. In the evening we went to a flamenco show and finally ended the day with a dinner at a Moroccan restaurant.

21. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A little less "we'll have to wait and see", although, it did keep things interesting.

22. What kept you sane?
  • Long, long walks (and bicycle rides)
  • Knitting (11.5 projects this year)
  • Reading (35 books this year)
  • Fika'ing 
23. Recount a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014
As a character (Elsa?) from Frozen said (and Idina Menzel sang, which is how I even know about this): "Let it go".

If you made it all the way down here...wow (and thanks!)!

One year ago: 2013: The year that was
Two years ago 2012: The year that was

2 comments :

  1. Tack så mycket för dina fina alster som du författar med den äran! En komplimang ger jag dig även för de fina fotografier som du blandar in i i dina rader.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.