Monday, August 11, 2014

Into the woods

Nackareservatet // Nacka Nature Reserve |  Into the woods on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com


It's not like Stockholm is a loud city—but sometimes you just need a little peace and quiet of a forest-y nature*. So, to the wooded hills I headed Saturday afternoon.

I was having one of those sigh-y, angst-y, doldrum-y days (the mean reds seemed to have followed me from New York). Despite it being a beautiful day outside, I followed my usual homebody method of coping—burrowing into a corner of the sofa, watching guaranteed tear-jerker movies, making myself pancakes, drinking loads of milky coffee, knitting, and futzing around online.

But as early morning turned to late afternoon and the sea breezes floated in I gave myself a stern talking to and hauled myself off the couch, washed my face, and forced myself out for some fresh air.

Nackareservatet // Nacka Nature Reserve |  Into the woods on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
Nackareservatet // Nacka Nature Reserve |  Into the woods on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
I headed to the Nacka Reserve (Nackareservatet) behind our apartment (lucky us, pretty canals in front and forests behind), and walked, walked, walked. Ignoring the gravelled path once I was far enough in, I struck out for the overgrown parts, clambering up stones, and finally settling back against a sun-warmed one.

I've never been crazy over licorice, so this isn't the best way to describe it, but the woods here smell like licorice—in a good way, which doesn't really help if you do like licorice, but all I can say is that I snuffled it up like mad as I tromped along. While they may not smell all that familiar, the woods here definitely look like Virginia's (which I'll always compare all woods to).

The scent and scenery carried me back and soon I was reminiscing, and very soon after that, all my black clouds had floated away. Once I realized that I (and the woods) had sorted myself out, I headed back home. Just after I walked in, R returned from work. We pow-wow'ed over dinner decisions and decided to settle ourselves on the balcony with a few nibblies first. Once we were comfortable I realized we could do with a little music, but rather than reach for my laptop as usual, I went to dig out my old iPod (which hasn't been updated in about 7 years) from our electronics drawer.

// Sidebar: have I mentioned we're still living with the exact same things we left NYC with on March 31st? We only have the clothes and belongings that fit into our two checked and one carry-on bag each. While our shipment already arrived, we're in a furnished sublet (temporarily?), so it's all in storage at the moment. Luckily the hardly-ever-used iPod made the cut //.

I propped it in its mini speaker gadget on the dining room windowsill and hit shuffle.

Nackareservatet // Nacka Nature Reserve |  Into the woods on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com

The first song that played was from a wedding soundtrack a college friend (my very first!) gave all her bridesmaids at her wedding eight years ago in Richmond (where she grew up, and about an hour from where I did). R didn't know the connections of the song for me, but as the lilting country sounds started he said, "this sounds like Virginia".

Yes, my dear—yes, it does.

* A little woodland punning for you.

One year ago: Summer woolens

9 comments :

  1. I like country music better here than in the U.S... is there Swedish country music? Do they sing about boots and whiskey? On a side note, are there Swedish cowboys? Maybe that needs to come first? So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yes, you bring up some good points, but I think the overarching one is this: the majority of country songs are based on some sort of heartbreak or bad luck/thanking God for your blessings/money issues or life stresses. The heartbreak/luck thing is universal, the thanking God bit...less of a Swedish phenomenon and then of course the money issues/life stresses, well, we know how likely that is to be a factor in a "nanny" state ( :p ) so...that could be why there's less/less chance of a Swedish country music phenomenon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely gorgeous forest! ok now an embarrassing confession... i STILL dont venture into the forest by myself (and here it's not even a forest more like dunes/park) why, because the ex-new yorker in me still on the alert.... so my jujitsu and krav maga training is not making me feel secure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya...the incredible freshness, early afternoon hour, and all the other people wandering about drew me in. But I would not have been enticed during the early morning or late evening! 😊Maybe you can drag V along for protecton? 💪

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scenery. Must make an attempt to visit soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, it works! And yes you must soon 😊!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I (kind of) made it onto the blog! Who knew that 8 years ago when that CD was made that it would one day be playing on a Swedish balcony! I can definitely relate to "the mean reds" (although I have never heard of that phrase.) I am glad that your walk in the woods was refreshing and able to give you some perspective. Love this post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya! I'm so glad the world of e-communication and Google makes it possible for us to stay in touch 13 years, 2 husbands, 3 kids, 1 dog and many moves later :). I first heard "the mean reds" on Breakfast at Tiffany's from Holly Golightly and the phrase always stuck with me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.