Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Drizzly day in the city: Djurgården + Helin & Voltaire

Helin & Voltaire on Djurgården in Stockholm  |  Drizzly day in the city: Djurgården + Helin & Voltaire on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
On my first trip to Sweden it was Christmas and Stockholm was at its prettiest. All candlelight and red paper stars in windows and crisp air and dancing snow on cobblestones. I was immediately enthralled—as long as I wasn't out for too long (my scanty American "winter" clothes didn't do much to keep me warm), but even when I was, we could at least come in from the cold to mugs of glögg.

But after a few days catching up en famille, R and I snuck away for an afternoon stroll alone and he brought me to the island of Djurgården, one of Stockholm's 14.

Perched up on a very slight crest was a fairytale-like structure housing Helin & Voltaire, the most charming cafè, complete with stone walls, a lit fireplace and the glow of candlesticks. We went in to warm ourselves up and enjoy a fika in the flame light and I loved it so much that we came back again the next time we were in town and wanted a special place to unfussily celebrate our first anniversary of marriage. Here's a picture of it in winter that I shared during the very early days of this blog. Charming, no?

View of Nobleparken from Djurgården in Stockholm  |  Drizzly day in the city: Djurgården + Helin & Voltaire on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
So last week when it was drizzling off and on one day and we were a little stir crazy and out of sorts, R wisely suggested we go out to Djurgården for a walk and lunch at Helin & Voltaire. This time, as I wasn't contending with snowy paths for the first time ever, I noticed a bit more on the way over, like these gorgeous Hermès-roofed buildings across the water near the Nobel Park and the entrance to a  rose garden I noticed and will go back to see another day.

After a delicious lunch, followed by a very yummy hazelnut-chocolate-coconut cookie, we headed back across the water to the city center, stopping on the bridge to admire the view. Even on the dreariest of days, Stockholm is such a beautiful city and I still can't quite believe I live here now.

View of Strandvägen from Djurgården in Stockholm  |  Drizzly day in the city: Djurgården + Helin & Voltaire on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
One year ago: Blueprints

2 comments :

  1. thanks for sharing your adventure - stockholm is really really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Dixya! Nice to see you, thanks for continuing to follow along! :) Stockholm is SO lovely, it's not even funny! Hope your summer's off to a good start! Xx.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.