Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 3

Vizsla  |  Week 3 on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
  • R and my father share a birthday, so we celebrated jointly earlier this month while my brother was still in town, which happened to be right after the "incident". Still, I wanted R to have his own individual day, too. That's why one night after work last week I spent 4 hours making his cake, a cake I made for him the first time 7 years ago, on one of his visits before we were married, and is now "his", that I make every year we're home for his birthday. It only makes an appearance this one time, once a year (see: 4 hours to make), so we had a slice for breakfast one weekday, and then a sliver for dessert every day after until it was gone (and sometimes as a post-dessert dessert, too). 

  • Speaking of birthday celebrations, we went out to one of those sparkly, snazzy, fusion-y Latin restaurants mid-week for my friend's birthday. There were quite a few pisco sours, one giant entrecote with a chimichurri-esque sauce and much with the crowded-table-telling of stories. 

  • And speaking of cocktails, I invented (as far as I know) a new one which I've christened the Cocorita. It's basically a Margarita, substituting the lime juice with coconut water. Delicious.

  • After babysitting a newborn overnight, dogsitting a "toddler" Vizsla was easy! When I told a friend how adamant I am about not getting a Rhodesian Ridgeback when we finally can get a dog (that's the breed R wants, while I want a Golden Retriever), and how I thought a Vizsla would be a good compromise because it looks like R's RR, but seems much cuter, cleaner and sweeter, she said,"I'm going away in a few weeks, why don't you borrow mine?". And so this weekend I finally got to go on my long walks around the waterfront and actually enter the local dog run (instead of just peering over the fence like a creepy person).

    Verdict: I really miss having a dog. Also: I'm infatuated with this particular one. She's got a gorgeous color, a sweet disposition, is the perfect size and is super fastidious (as in, she likes her paws cleaned before coming inside.  It's like she knows me! Or...understands me! Or...is me in four-legged form! 

One year ago: Libraries, both literary and libationary

13 comments :

  1. I am OBSESSED with Vizsla's!!! They are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm curious as to what kind of cake you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo, the 4-hour thing is a slight exaggeration because I didn't actually have to DO stuff for 4 hours, but it was 4 hours from start to end because of all the waiting around.

      I originally got the recipe for an Almond Tart from a Molto Mario show on the Food Network in college (!) (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/almond-tart-crostata-alle-mandorle-recipe/index.html), but since going gluten and sugar free I've made tons and tons of changes.

      Essentially, the entire crust is nut based now (a mix of cashews, walnuts and almonds) plus a little buckwheat flour (as opposed to the recipe's almond + white flour base). And, I use straight up apricot "jam" with no sugar, and then adding to the entire process, I make my own chocolate, so that's factored in, as well. You could probably get this down to an hour or two total time, and next time I might play around with not doing all the "let the dough sit" and pre-baking the crust, etc.

      But then again, it comes out so delicious, I don't want to mess with my (amended) recipe!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks—I seriously impressed myself! I love the tart bite of a potent margarita, but while I felt tequila-y last night, I wanted something mellower for a winter's eve. The coconut water is so smooth, not at all like citrus, but pairs really well with tequila. Try it! :)

      Delete
  4. I love pisco sours ever since Chile! Also, I think a cocorita sounds brilliant. Also, how do I make this thing tell me if you've replied to my post? Apparently I've been missing all your replies. You'd think I didn't have a phd in astrophysics... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, foamy, egg-white-y goodness with a hint of tart. I love me a good pisco sour! And let me know if you try a Cocorita, I want to share THAT goodness far and wide!

      Haha, re: Astrophysics. So sorry you've been missing all my replies! Could be for the better, though, as sometimes I get quite wordy ;)

      Delete
  5. And *now* I see the 'notify' button...typical! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad you found it! Prepare for the deluge :).

      Delete
  6. cocorita sounds awesome although I am not much of a tequilla person. Happy belated to your father and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a gin gal, right? Could be worth it to try it with gin + triple sec + coconut water—which is basically the Delilah, swapping out coconut for lemon again. So a...Cocolilah vs. Delilah perhaps? ;)
      http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-delilah-bewitching-white-lady-for.html

      And, thanks for the bday wishes!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.