Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2013: The year that was

You know what I love about this whole blogging thing? The ability to look back at the year, to remember more than just what's written in my Google Calendar. I mentioned last year how I love when things are tied up neatly with a bow: a beginning, a middle and an end. It's still true. So, here goes:

1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before? 

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make any for next year?
Not exactly. And, shockingly, I'm perfectly okay with that.

As for this year, well, I've seen other people choose a word to describe how they'd like their year to manifest—I like that idea, so rather than another list of resolutions, I hereby declare 2014 the year of "adventure".

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My brother and sister-in-law—making me a first-time aunt and (godmother).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Like last year, I'm counting myself lucky to claim another year with everyone I care most about still here.

5. What countries did you visit? Cities?
Countries:
Cities:  

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
  • More challenging, exciting experiences 
  • A little more clarity in where I'm going and where I'll be living (not to contradict my first statement, of course) 
  • An updated apartment 
  • Patience

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

9. What was your biggest failure?
Oddly, the same as last year's, which is not at all a welcome revelation: "Not feeling like I was the best daughter, sister, wife, friend that I could have been. Vague yes, but what grates on my mind the most."

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thank goodness I stayed healthy and unharmed the whole year.

11. What were the best things you bought?

12. Where did most of your money go?
Just like last year: "Travel. Rent. Savings.", and adding one more: bureaucratic nonsense

13. What made you happy/got you excited?

14. Are you happier or sadder than last year? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
A smidgen happier. The same width. A wee bit richer.

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
  • Spent more time with my family—willingly, while I can
  • Learned/tried even more new things
  • Played outside more often

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
  • Complaining
  • Worrying
  • Stressing
  • Nagging
  • Guilt tripping (myself)
  • Staying up late just because I could

17. How did you spend Christmas?
With my extended family.

18. What was your favorite TV program?
I tend to watch shows after they've popped up on Netflix, so I'm a bit behind, but:
  • House of Cards
  • Scandal
  • Political Animals
  • Gossip Girl
  • Revenge
  • Prison Break
  • Downton Abbey

19. What were your favorite books of the year?

20. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
Turned 30 in St. Lucia. Drove from one end of the island to the other. Toured a cacao plantation. Ate a LOT of chocolate. Tried to ignore how icky I felt (thanks a lot, plane germs + crazy hotel room A/C).

21. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Similar to last year: more assignments and projects that I care about, the kind that I'm excited to work on every day, and people that are fun to be around and have something to teach me. Also: being and feeling more grounded.

22. What kept you sane?

23. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
You're given one family by birth, another by choice. Cherish them both, but be especially kind, loving, understanding and grateful for and generous with the former.

10 comments :

  1. What a great recap, J! I found myself nodding at so many of your responses, especially numbers 15 and 16. I'd love to know how you're feeling after visiting the holistic doctor and making all of those little tweaks (more energized?)...perhaps a follow-up post? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda dear! 15 and 16—always a toughie, but all we can do is keep thinking about what we want and try to do better, I suppose :). And thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely share how I'm feeling now in a follow-up. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  2. such a thoughtful reflection of this year..I will be trying more knitting, book reading (reading the mountains echoed currently), and hopefully being thankful for what I have. And of course looking for ways to move to NY soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixya! I can't wait to see what you've been knitting up. And yes, saw on IG that you're reading Khaled's latest, I hope to find more authors like him. I had no idea you were plotting a move to NYC! Good for you! Exciting :)

      Delete
    2. i have been plotting this for a long time but due to complications with visa/job - its not looking so bright right now..well thats why I have friends like you to vicariously live through :)

      Delete
    3. Oh dear, I know what a mess a necessary visa can make. Keep at it and hopefully it'll work out in the end! Glad to offer a glimpse into NYC life to keep you satiated in the mean time, though. :)

      Delete
  3. awesome summary, can't wait to see next year's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Could be a VERY different recap next year... ;) Xx

      Delete
  4. Waw you did a LOT last year! and cheers to 2014! Let's see what we get up to this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's why I like these roundups—there were so many things I had forgotten about! 2014 might be a doozy, for me at least (in a good way!)...TBD :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.